Monday 11 June 2012

My (mostly) Healthy Life

I wanted to get as healthy as possible to be in the best possible shape for IVF and then for my *pregnancy* (fingers crossed)
As a result I decided to 'invest' money into some really good books that have really inspired and motivated me.
I have lost over 20 pounds because I have changed the way I eat and live and feel MUCH better
So here are a few of the best ideas..

My first book (which some may find controversial) was VERY eye opening
Alicia Silverstone (from Clueless, kinda amazeballs) has written an excellent and very thought provoking book.  There are NO celebrity EGOS here. I admit I did not take everything on board BUT one of the main changes I have made to my life is that we have cut out Dairy almost entirely.
Here are 3 very GOOD reasons Alicia persuaded me:
Nasty 1: "We don't drink our own mother's milk when we are 8, or 15 or 30, so why would our bodies accept another creature's milk?" (pg.35)


Nasty 2: "Remember, cow's milk is designed to turn a calf into a 400-pound cow" (pg.35-36)


Nasty 3: "Did you know that in countries where dairy is not consumed the incidence of breast cancer is so low as to be almost nonexistent?" (pg.37)


So this might be very controversial to many people but I have cut it out and FEEL GREAT and do not miss is one tiny bit.  There are SO many other great alternatives out there.
What about the calcium?
A chart on page 39 of the book outlines the following:
Calcium Milligrams (per 100 g serving)
Whole milk- 118
Chickpeas - 150
Almonds - 234
Her website is also great!



Another fantastic read and inspiring book!  She also has her own website you might find interesting.
This is another easy to read book that is not anything 'new' BUT was very good to have everything in one place.  Kimberly has included many case studies as well as easy to use charts outlining the best types of foods to eat and a 'shopping list'. She also re-iterates that 'there is nothing beautiful about dairy'.
From this book I start EVERY day with a...
  
cup of hot water and half of a lemon.....
Have fallen in love with Grapefruits again, great for snacking.
AND I drink a 'glowing green smoothie' at least 4 times a week for breakfast (pg.197)
In the smoothie I put (as many ingredients should be organic):
1 chopped head of romaine lettuce
a handful of organic spinach
3-4 celery stalks
1 organic apple chopped
1 pear
1 banana
lemon juice
water
Might sound gross but it is SOOOO good for your insides and it does make me GLOW

So that is a mini insight into my healthy eating that has helped me to loose weight and SPARKLE

Another book that I have literally JUST ordered from Amazon, that looks like it is full of delicious and healthy recipes is...
I will report back on it once I have tried it out.  I am a HUGE fan of Honestly Healthy Food

Happy eating

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs